The pregnancy journey is an exciting yet an overwhelming experience.Here is how to take care of yourself and your unborn baby.
- Eat a balanced diet, complete with a variety of foods,vegetables and fruits.
- Exercise, and maintain fitness throughout your pregnancy. Be careful to do exercises that do not cause injury, or loss of balance.
- Monitor your weight.Add only the kilos necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
- Do not smoke , take alcohol or drugs.
- Do not obtain any drugs over the counter.
- Reduce your caffeine intake.
- Please take your supplements as prescribed to you.
- Do not miss any scheduled clinic visits.
- Visit the hospital IMMEDIATELY you have any health concerns , or danger signs
NB: Have a birth plan ready (where to deliver, transport, birth companion, save some money for delivery, e.t.c)
GUIDELINES FOR HEALTHY EATING.
|Food Group||Benefits||Food Sources|
|Grain,grain products and other starchy products||Provides energy and important minerals such as Iron & Calcium. Whole meal cereals are healthy and contain more nutrients.||Maize, wheat, bread, sorghum, millet or cassava, potatoes, green bananas e.t.c|
|Pulses (bean, peas, lentils)||Good sources of protein, energy, minerals and vitamins||Beans, lentils, chickpeas, cowpeas etc|
|Nut and seeds||Good sources of protein, energy, minerals, vitamins and healthy fats||
Nuts: cashew nuts, almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts etc.
Seeds: Sunflower, pumpkin, Sesame seeds
|Dairy||Rich sources calcium important for healthy bones and teeth||Fresh milk, Yoghurt, Cheese, butter, Mala etc|
|Meat, Poultry & Fish||Important sources of protein, energy, minerals such as iron, zinc & Vitamins||
Meat: Beef, goat, Lamb, Mutton etc
Poultry: Chicken, duck, turkey etc
Fish: Tilapia, tuna, Sardines, Omena
|Eggs||Good sources of proteins, minerals and Vitamins||Chicken, duck quail eggs etc|
|Dark green leafy vegetables||contain a variety of vitamins and minerals which protect you and your baby from diseases.||Dark green leaves: cassava leaves, pumpkin leaves, amaranth leaves, spinach, kales etc|
|Other Vitamin A rich fruits and vegetables||Good sources of vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C and Folate||
Ripe mangoes, papaya, melon etc
Carrot, pumpkin, orange-feshed sweet potato etc.