Here is how you take care of yourself and your newborn baby:
- Ensure you have a balanced diet, fruits, drinking water and rest.
- Bathe everyday and keep personal hygiene; monitor vaginal bleeding to ensure it is minimal
- Follow all instructions given to you by the midwife or doctor.
- Ensure that you are exclusively breastfeeding your baby. Do not add anything for the baby.
- Keep the baby warm at all times. Ensure the layering of garments on the baby is adequate.
- Ensure proper latching of the baby onto the nipple while breastfeeding to avoid cracking of nipples
- Try to rest as much as possible while the baby is sleeping to reduce fatigue
- Ensure you have proper support and help around the house as you take care of the baby.
Good positioning for breastfeeding
- Infant's head and body should be straight
- Infant's facing the mother with the nose opposite the nipple
- Infant's body close to and facing the mother's body (infant's tummy to mother's)
- Mother supporting infant's whole body and not just neck and shoulders.